Sunday, March 30, 2008

More Planting and First Seedlings!

Yesterday I planted Purple Haze Carrots in front of my blueberry bushes on the side of the house. I also fertilized the bushes with Miracle Gro for Acid Loving Plants. I just bought the bushes last fall (a 2 year old Duke, 3 year old Bluecrop , and 2 year old Elliott), and I'm really hoping I get some blueberries this year. I also pruned each of the plants a little bit (cut crossing branches, super-vigorous growth, and downward facing branches). I've tried rooting one of the prunings after dipping it in some rooting hormone and putting it in the peat/vermiculite/perlite mixture. We'll see how that does.

I also planted two varieties of peas in the other raised bed - Little Marvel and Snowbird. I don't have enough soil to fill that bed, so it's mostly just my horrible clay soil (that our dog has been pooping and peeing on for the last year) mixed with a little peat moss. I don't really have high hopes for those peas.


After church this morning, I was really surprised to see my first seedlings had emerged! The first to come were Snowdrift Marigolds and a Scarlet Zinnia. I was even more surprised to see more seedlings this evening--Super Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato, Siam Queen Basil, and a Hollyhock!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Keep it up Lukey....you're doing a great job!