Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Slugs and Bees

I was a beekeeper for a day on Sunday! A friend of mine at church has two beehives and asked if I wanted to help him with some things he had to do with the hive since it was spring. At first I was a little hesitant--I'm not a huge fan of being stung. But after I thought about it for a bit, I realized what an amazing experience that would be! It turned out to be really fun (especially since I didn't get stung) and I learned a lot about bee culture. It just blows my mind that people keep bees here in the middle of the city! We didn't get to finish everything he had wanted to get done, so I'm sure I'll be helping out again sometime soon. After much debate and extended forecast checking, I have decided to start hardening off my seedlings. I've been bringing them outside during the day, making sure that they are fairly well shaded. I bring them in at night. Also, our Lunaria is blooming, and so far of the seeds I've planted in the attic, the Bachelor's Buttons (a coneflower) and a pink delphinium that my mom gave me have germinated. Yesterday I also planted a row each of Kentucky Wonder beans and Provider beans behind the peas. On the section of ground where our dog currently uses the bathroom, I've broken up the dirt and scattered wildflower seeds and pretty much every other variety of flower that I have. I'll be interested to see what, if anything, can survive that wasteland and actually grow.

I've been noticing lately some of our plants are getting nibbled on, so on Monday night, after getting home from small group, I thought it would be a good idea to go slug hunting. The neighbors probably thought I was crazy out there with my flashlight squatting down in the garden, but it was worth it. I probably smushed close to 30 of them...some quite large and extra juicy. Now, however, my thoughts are haunted by this image:
Thanks, grandma.

No comments: