Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More blooms

These tulips, given to us by our lovely Aunty Betty, started out red and have been changing to pink over their fairly long bloom time. It seems that out of each plant, two flowers emerged. I'm not sure if that's just because the bulbs multiplied or not. Also, notice that our azalea (given last year to Leigha by her bosses) is close to blooming.

Here are the deep purple tulips in bloom. I really like their dramatic color. I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture, but our last peony has finally started to emerge from the ground.

I've been really surprised with the proficiency of blooms on this lunaria (also called Money Plant). I planted these last year, but since they are a bienniel, this is the first year that they have bloomed. I have a number of plants, some with purple flowers, and others with white. The flowers remind me of tall phlox, and are nice since they're blooming well when nothing much else is.
I love how this creeping phlox has started to tumble over the edge of the terrace, and how it is just smothered in blooms.

Our Japanese painted fern has grown a lot from last year! The hostas also have all leafed out.
My pea plants are coming along nicely, although I don't see any of the beans coming through the soil yet.
The Bluecrop blueberry has almost completed blossoming. The flowers look like tiny white berries. I'm debating whether I should pinch off some of the flowers, as seems to be recommended. They say the blueberries will be small if all of the flowers are left on. I don't really mind so much about that though--I like wild blueberries which are much smaller. I'm wondering if the taste and vitality of the plant will be affected if they are all left on. Elliot is close to blooming, and Duke is not too far behind.

We ordered a perennial geranium (Johnson's Blue) from Springhill Nurseries and planted it last fall. I don't think this is a geranium coming up though. It looks much more like a Anemone Poppy. I'm going to have to call and see what's going on with that.
I was surprised at first to see so many ants all over the flower bud on our peonies, but Leigha said that was normal. I find it really interesting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go, Luke! I'll live vicariously through your garden this year as I'm not going to be doing much. It's looking great!